Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Saturday, June 07, 2008

Three Reasons Salt Lake Airport Hates Us

We just returned from Park City, UT with Nana and Papa. We had a great time. Ed went fishing for 2 days with his dad. Jane and I hung out in beautiful Park City. Unfortunately, we did not have great weather. It was cold and rainy most of the time until we left yesterday. Regardless, we had a wonderful, relaxing visit.

Evidence of Salt Lake City airport's sincere distaste for us:

  • In 2003, I flew to SLC for Christmas without Ed. He was stationed in Iraq at the time and couldn't come home. We lived in Germany, so the flight was long. I was delayed out of Germany, missed my connection and 15 minutes after boarding the 8 hour flight, I came down with the flu. Needless to say, it was miserable. To add insult to injury, they lost my luggage for 10 days. It had my ski gear, Christmas presents, all my clothes, etc. in it.
On the way to St. Louis to visit my family, Bill (father-in-law) drove me to the airport in a horrible snowstorm. He dropped me off and drove the 1.5-hour (usually 45 minutes) drive back to Park City. Just as he sat down in the comfort of his home and says, "I'm glad I don't have to go out in that again," the phone rings and I'm calling to tell them that my flight in cancelled and I can't fly out until the next day.

  • In January 2007, we were again headed back to Illinois and arrived at the airport only to discover that our flight had been cancelled. We wouldn't be able to fly until the next evening. Bill and Jane had to pick us up and take us back to PC again.

  • Finally, yesterday, we were scheduled to leave SLC at 2:35 for Chicago. Due to high winds in the Midwest, we were delayed for 3.5 hours. We didn't get into Chi-town until 10 p.m. We did not get to visit my cousins because it was too late. We then drove 2.5 hours to Champaign to pick up our other car and continued driving to Effingham in horrible rain storms. It took forever to get there. We finally arrived at 3 a.m. We woke up this morning and drove to MTV to my parents' house.

We are beyond exhausted. But Gabi is a trooper!!! She did great. She played at SLC, fell asleep right before we got on the plane, woke up 2 hours later, played on the plane and fell asleep once we got in the car to drive home. Her whole world was upside down and she didn't notice.

Gabi was glad to get to GG and Grumps' house so she could see her dog, Izzy. GG and Grumps have a lot of new toys and books and she is very excited. She even has her own patio chair that is just her size.

Tomorrow, we're having another open house for friends in MTV who would like to meet Gabi. We'd like to spend the week hanging out with Aunt Paige, Uncle Barry, Auntie Li and GG and Grumps. We have a lot on our plates. If Ed and I can get a nap, we hope to head to the pool later today.

We didn't take our camera to PC because it was momentarily lost in a box in Champaign. Hopefully, Nana will send some pics from this last week and I'll be able to post.

1 comment:

Marco & Lorraine said...

Glad you are home safely from your trip! Let me know if you would like to meet up before you head off for Houston.
Lorraine x