Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Monday, August 04, 2008

Oh Lordy! Dog Drama

Drama continues at the A. house. Today's events included our dog, Izzy, biting Gabi in the face. Follow that up with the chaotic phone call to Edward to find out where the closest ER is and then a 3 hour wait to see the doctor.

I just love ERs. They're horrible. They're such painful places. No one can give you a timeframe, there is limited compassion and extra frustration. Usually the doctors/nurses are fine once you get in, but not always.

Gabi's nurses and doctor were very nice. And she wasn't in pain after the initial bite. I must say that the actual bite incident was terrifying for her. She cried harder and differently than I've ever seen her cry before. Of course anything on your face bleeds a ton. It can be very misleading. I assumed that one of the holes was pretty deep. It was not. They were actually two small tears. One is very tiny, next to the left side of her mouth. The other is on her right cheek and a quite a big bigger. They flushed them out with saline and then used Dermabond to close them up. She'll take antibiotics for several days and then be fine. Bless her heart.

The irony of this whole incident is that my mom-in-law was attacked by a pit bull on her bike almost two weeks ago. The dog bit her leg pretty good and thankfully did not attack her further when she was knocked off the bike. The dog went into quarantine because its shots were not up-to-date. On Friday, Animal Control called her to let her know that the dog died and they don't know why. Guess what that means? Rabies shots!!! So she started that series in the ER out in Park City. Could we ask for anymore dog drama?

7 comments:

demp5 said...

Poor little Gabi!! That is absolutely terrible! I would have been a nervous wreck. I am so sorry that happened, and I will pray that her beautiful little face heals perfectly. Also, that totally stinks for your m-i-l about the bite and the shots -eek. Y'all need a little boredom - way too much excitement :)

Anonymous said...

Ok, that's it for Izzy. She's done.
Do I need to come out and take care of our baby?
Love you,
GG

Pineapple Princess said...

Oh, my gosh! Not my Gabi! I'll be praying that her beautiful face heals perfectly. She is such a doll!
What a crazy day for you, huh? Probably NOT the way you wanted to get to know your new town better!

Hugs,
Stacy

Robin said...

I hate that happened to Gabi and I am glad she is okay. Our small dog bit Ella in the face 3 weeks after she was home. I will warn you their dark skin shows the scar forever.

Robin & Ella

Paige said...

Oh no! What happened? Poor kid. I still remember Papaw's dogging buting me on the butt as a little kid but mostly being embarrassed that people saw my butt.

Poor baby, she will be okay.

What does this mean for Miss Isabell?

Anonymous said...

Oh no! I know you were all petrified and you are right about ERs! Give Miss Gabi a hug for me -I know that was scary!!! Our three dogs have not paid Jeremiah much attention (other than to avoid him)but we are watching closely! Hang in there!

The Gosneys

Anonymous said...

And let me just say-they all laugh bacause I am afraid of dogs, but this just supports my point exactly. I am so sorry this happened to her and your mother in law. It is very traumatic for everyone. She loves Izzy so. Send that dog to GG and Grumps!. Take care of our girl.
Love you bunches,
Aunt Sue