Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Christmas Prep


I decorated the tree and the rest of the house as much as it's going to be done this year. It will all stay up until Gabriella Sol comes home, even if it is June. I love decorating for Christmas. Much of the joy is muted this year as a result of Gab's delayed homecoming. Regardless, this time of year warms my heart for many reasons and I will not allow that to be taken away.


I love decorating because many of our Christmas decorations were passed down from family and others have been collected from all over the world. We have ornaments from China, Korea, Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, UK, Guatemala and many others. Our treetop star is cloisonnes and we bought it when visiting China in 1999. When Ed was stationed in Iraq, many family and friends sent ornaments that represented them and his mom sent a small tree with which to display them. So a lot of our ornaments have pictures of people we love. Some of his are ornaments that were given to him from the time he was born. So are some of mine. The first Christmas we were married and living in Korea, my sister and brother-in-law sent us a huge box of decorations for our first tree and apartment. She sent bows, ribbons, lights, wreaths and a bunch of other stuff. I love getting it out and thinking about our first far away Christmas. It is impossible to decorate the tree and not feel connected to the many people we love. That is what Christmas is about to me.
One of the favorite things that we have been given is a Christmas village that belonged to Grandmother A. Over the years we've received more and more pieces until we finally have them all. She collected them for years. Every time we get it out, I get to remember wonderful things about Grandmother. She was the quintessential lady. Graceful, poised, intelligent, beautiful and very, very kind. I love thinking that we get to share this piece of her home. I obviously didn't get to know her the way Edward and Hilary did, but I loved her very much. And I love thinking of her every time I look at that village.

Finally, we got to put Gabi's stocking up this year. We thought we would be sharing this important holiday with her. Unfortunately, that isn't what God had in mind. It is bittersweet to see that stocking that her GG picked out for her hanging next to ours and know that she won't be here. That's why the decorations will stay up until she's home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your house looks beautiful and inviting. I totally understand all the emotions that Christmas brings. We have all those sentimental ornaments, etc., too. We have added at least one ornament each year for 40 years. So many were gifts from family, friends, students, and peers that memories flood our minds.
This year, in an attempt to break from some tradition, I didn't use all those ornaments, but instead went with almost all red and gold. I guess I was thinking of marking the onset of a new era....one which includes Gabriella LilliSol. I may leave it up until she's home, too.
Anyway, I'm trying to focus on the real meaning, the birth of our Lord, and get away from the materialism. I want Gabi to start out with her first Christmas being Christ centered. Besides all the "things" have actually become almost vulgar.
This year we all are even more aware that happiness does not come from things.....it is in fact not having all you want, but wanting what you have. That means I'm joyfully happy, because I am so blessed to want all that I have. We have two wonderful, beautiful daughters, each of whom has given us wonderful sons, and now we have our fabulous granddaughter. How could we ask for more (except to have Gabi within touchable distance)?
I pray for that to be reality for us all.
Gabi is ours in our hearts and soon to be in our arms.
We love you too much,
Mom

Amanda said...

Thanks Mom. Gabi's upbringing will be centered around Christ. And her dad says that Christmas for us will be when she comes home. We are trying to focus on our many, many blessings. They are innumerable and if I don't want the things I have, then I don't deserve to have more.

Love, Amanda