Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Friday, December 14, 2007

Still not "In"

I spoke to our translator again today. He told me last Saturday that our lawyer expected us to be back in PGN on Wednesday or Thursday of this week. So I not-so-patiently waited until this afternoon to call and find out if we were back in. We are not. The new expected date is Monday or Tuesday. There literally are not words for the frustration, anger and helplessness I feel. I truly feel in some moments that this might never happen for us.

This blog is not about a pity party for me, or us. But it is a journal of this experience. So in the interest of being completely frank, I will say exactly what I feel. What is it that we have done to make the simple act of creating a family so difficult? What did we do to deserve the profound, perseverative pain of not having a child of our own? And as I asked my dear friend Kristin, when is it our turn? She assures me that I will understand why all of this pain had to be endured once Gabi is home. She knows, better than anyone, EXACTLY how I feel. She just went through the exact same thing. But I can't help but think-- why does it happen for everyone around us, but never us.

I never felt a sense of betrayal when friends got pregnant. I never felt that way when they brought their children home from their birth countries. But the truth of the matter is, I feel that way now. And no matter how much I try to squelch it, it is very, very real. I am sick and tired of having to "trust" that it will happen to us because it happens to others. I would do just about anything to be able to know it from my/our own experience. I am tired of seeing every single one of our friends have/or bring home their children while we wait, what I would consider up until now, VERY PATIENTLY.

I know how unfaithful I sound. And I'm sure God is sick and tired of my doubting. I know how He feels. I'm sick and tired too. But I truly don't have it in me to deny the doubts and pure sadness that I feel. I've never in my life felt so desperate and brokenhearted.

One last thing-- I've always found it very unsettling how cautious newly pregnant parents have to be after the experience of a miscarriage. Many friends and family members have been through this and I've watched as they thwart the happiness that they desperately want to feel, but can't because of the reality of what they just lost. This is yet another moment that is stolen from them. This is what I feel today and so many days. Kristin begs me not to get my heart set on a date for Gabi's possible homecoming. And I try so hard not to, so I won't be disappointed. But dammit, I am sick of the joys that have been stolen from us through the years of infertility and the continued setbacks in this adoption. I just want to celebrate my child the same way so many others have been blessed to do. Is that really so much to ask after so many challenges in this arena? Please, somebody set me straight.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amanda- so I felt compelled when I woke up this morning to check on beautiful, baby girl, Gabi Sol. From her most recent picture I am thrilled to see that she is still healthy, happy and "hairy". I love her long locks!!!!
Amanda my heart goes out to you and Ed right now. The waiting has definately reached ~WAY beyond reasonable~(about two months ago). I really appreciate your raw honesty about how you are feeling.
~Today I am praying that God wraps his arms around you and reminds you that you are an amazing faithful woman and a dedicated, precisely-hand-picked momma for Gabi~
~Amanda I have never adopted, but I have ridden the infertility train a few times, when you get that sweet pudding cake, Gabi, home and you can eat her cheeks off with kisses, every day and every night these long term, relentless "labor pains" will fade away. There is light at the end of the tunnel and you are near the end girl!!
Also when I think of all of the "mommy" skills and charactgeristics I learn from my mommy friends, I am sooo thankful that I have you to learn from too. Your dedication, tenacity, perseverance, humor, honesty and patience are a priceless combination for now and for a lifetime of mommyhood!!
Thank you for sharing your life with me! i love you~ Mo

I am praying for you, Ed and your little bundle of ponytail potential everyday!!

Anonymous said...

Amanda,

You could have been me talking. I feel so much of what you are feeling. It is so diffult to understand why I have to work so hard for something so many others take for granted. I too went the fertility treatment route, the joy of being pregnant and the dispair of miscarriages. Now with this adoption, I have stopped hoping for a specific month, as I am continually let down. My agency has let me down. It is amazing how close our timelines are, I am now being told, my case will be resubmitted on Monday. Took 3 weeks to fix a transposed date!

Anyway, please email if you want to chat, you are not alone in this journey...take Care
Karon_Criswell@mhsnr.org

iLEEN said...

Amanda and Ed, So many of us join you with feelings of frustration and anger. We too, stand by, feeling helpless! I want to jump in and make things happen for you. I look forward to the day you and Ed bring our baby girl home at last. It is a mystery that you are stymied at every step of the way. We can't give up now. So keep busy, keep on communicating with 'them' and know you have many friends who will help you lighten the pain. -eileen

Anonymous said...

I wish I could just hug you and make it all better. I believe that Mo has said it pretty darn well. I admire the strength that you have held till now, we are here to hold you up with our prayers. It is ok to have your faith faulter once in a while, it is when it is restored that gives you the overwhelming glow of knowing that he was there all along. We will all pray harder for you all, and he will hear them. Just go ahead and punch a freaking wall. I know it won't help anything, but the pain in your hand will force you to think of something els, even if only for a few moments. I love you guys very much and miss you. Call me if you want to scream!

Anonymous said...

i think your little girl is so cute see is a doll. i cant wait tell you bring her to Mrs.Sammons class.

Anonymous said...

cute baby.

Anonymous said...

I'm happy for you and your family.Happy Christmas!

Anonymous said...

i am one of mrs. sammons students and i just wanted to say Marry x-mas and a happy New Year

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Have A MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hope you have a wounderfull Christmas

Anonymous said...

i hope the best for you and your family. i can't wait to see Gabby!!i can't wait until you bring her to Mrs.Sammons Class... she so adorable! well i hope the best for you and Ed....

p.s. Merry Christmas

Anonymous said...

Hello i hope all of your family have a very good christmas and i really hope that you and your husband can get your daughter soon !!!!!!

Anonymous said...

hope you have a merry christmas

Anonymous said...

Man shes still not in wow I can't believe it my class and are so excited about hearing more about Gabi. I hope she gets home soon. Merry Christmas. I am thinking about you and her.

Anonymous said...

Amanda&Ed<3
Today she ran across my mind
and I know shes one of a kind*
You'll win her through one day
But I know she wont lay until that day* Baby Gabby is oh so cute. I cant wait until you guys recruit
Let God bless you and your baby
Gabby
and dont forget im here for you
I love the way a new baby looks
And especially ones
with great talent and looks
well i hope you get her
i know you will
all the peace&love in the world<3*~
Have A MERRY CHRISTMAS & A HAPPY NEW YEAR<3*

Anonymous said...

Amanda&Ed<3
Today she ran across my mind
and I know shes one of a kind*
You'll win her through one day
But I know she wont lay until that day* Baby Gabby is oh so cute. I cant wait until you guys recruit
Let God bless you and your baby
Gabby
and dont forget im here for you
I love the way a new baby looks
And especially ones
with great talent and looks
well i hope you get her
i know you will
all the peace&love in the world<3*~
Have A MERRY CHRISTMAS & A HAPPY NEW YEAR<3*

Anonymous said...

SHE IS SO CUTE AND I HOPE YOU HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Anonymous said...

I am going to pray for you and your family. I hope you and your husband and your little Gabbi make it home very soon. She's just so adorned and dazzling. Just to precious. I can't wait to see all of you. Have a wonderful Christmas and a wonderful New Year.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I really dont know u but i jus want to say u are in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Your baby is so cute. I hope I get to see her soon.

Anonymous said...

she's so cute an i hope you have an merry christmas

Anonymous said...

Hi, I really don't know u but i just want to say u are in my prayers. Have a very Merry Christmas bye.....!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I hope everything goes ok with you. I hope you get anything and everything you need for Gabi. I hope everything goes great for you.