Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Sunday, June 17, 2007

Daddy in the House

Here's the thing. I have always known that I would have this profound experience when I watched Edward become a father. He's made for the job and I've always known that. And it takes him a little longer to adjust to things than it does me. So, true to his form, he got really excited about the baby but the reality of the wait set in for him and he settled down. Then he met her. He absolutely fell in love. He was amazing with her and I knew he could hardly contain himself.

Since Edward is working in Michigan this summer, I haven't seen him since I returned from Guatemala. He's home this weekend. And I see how his daughter has already changed him. We looked at pictures today and he just brightens about her. I don't know how else to describe it. He wants to stand in her room and just look. I can tell he feels nearer to her since he got to meet her. And kiss her. And hold her. We look at her grinning in these pictures, or making one of 100 faces, and we feel like we can just smell and touch her. It's so weird. But it's true. And now, my heart just fills up thinking about him seeing her again.

This is a poem that our agent, Missy, sent to us shortly after we received our referral. It hits home more now than ever.

The Picture

And oh, I cried…..
So fragile, was her tiny hand
The picture showed her hair was fine
And thin. Her cheeks were pale, but understand
This child was mine!

This square of photo, 2 x 3
Was blurry, but I still could see
A trace of tears. What unknown fears
Could make her look so sad and lost?
What brought her here—at what great cost?
Her papers said she seldom cries,
But searches, with her pleading eyes. For what?
For love? For someone near?
A tender smile?---Oh, I am here!

They asked me crisply, sharply, “Well?
Could you accept a child like this?”
Accept? Accept? My heart stood still.

I placed a tender, tearful kiss
Upon the photo…rosebud lips
And almond eyes, and fingertips
That were a stranger yesterday,
Who lived half a world away
Became as much a part of me
As childbirth could have made them be.

Oh, thanks to God who heard my prayer
And answered, as He put her there
In that small picture, just for me.

Could they not see it was meant to be?
How could they ask? Could you accept?

The dream of every night I’d slept,
And prayed, and prayed that God would bless
And find her.

Could I accept….Oh yes!
Nothing could ever keep us apart
For she was my life, my soul, my heart…..
My child, in all the world so wide,
My child at last.
And, oh, I cried.
----Jeannie Linstrom

5 comments:

sandraclark4 said...

I shared with you how your dad would just sit and stare at you as a baby, even when you were so young that you didn't do anything. I also shared that when I watched him I fell in love with him over and over again.
Obviously, you are having the same experience with Edward. Isn't it wonderful.
The poem put me over the edge, so true and sweet.
Love you all too much,
GG

Paige said...

Happy Father's day Edward!

And of course dad watched her when she was doing nothing-- all she did was sleep. If he did not watch then, he never would have seen her.

Anonymous said...

Happy Fathers Day Edward, I can't wait for you to feel that joy of having her in your arms every day. The littlest of things will take over your heart like you have never felt. It is a beautiful journey, raising children. And you are going to be a great dad. Love to you both.

Anonymous said...

Love the poem! Tears, tears, and more tears! Also, what a loving relationship you and Edward have! I can't wait til you have her in your arms every single day!!!! And daddy there everyday, too!

Anonymous said...

I have never blogged before, so I don't know if this will work. I have followed your blog site with such interest and emotion. What an adventure you are on. Must be impossible to be patient. You 2 will make terrific parents and I am thrilled for you. Nat