Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Grumps and GG

It's official! Grumps and GG (my mom and dad) will be joining us in Guatemala. They are going to meet their first grandchild on her native soil. They are chomping at the bit to get a hold of her. They will only be visiting part of the time that we're there. It's not a terribly exciting trip for them (that was sarcastic). There's a lot of sitting around, talking to Gabi and meeting other adoptive families. I know they'll love it. But if they stayed the whole time, I'm sure they'd be bored. It's not like we have any intention of letting them hold her or anything... just kidding, Mom.

I forgot to mention a pretty interesting experience I had in Guatemala. I was riding the elevator downstairs with Gabi in the Baby Bjorn and a business man was looking over my shoulder at her. When I started to get off the elevator, he started asking me about the process, how old Gabriella was and when she was going home. He continued to walk with me when we got off the elevator. He commented about the blessing that children are. He kept looking at Gabriella so sweetly. This man then told me that he was a father of 6 children and that being their parents is the greatest blessing and a tremendous responsibility. He wished me much happiness and told me to never forget that she's such an amazing blessing.

I guess it isn't that weird. I think it is incredible how much spectators of this process support the unification of families in this way. I love that people are so willing to to open up in ways that they ordinarily wouldn't. Besides being Gabriella's mother, that is probably my favorite part of this adventure. For so long, people have been trying to buoy our spirits throughout years of deployments and infertility. We finally have a really positive experience to share. And what the heck is the point of any joy if you can't share it. So thank you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome. I didn't really see how you were gonna keep GG here. I hope they both truly enjoy the experience and then don't become to impatient waiting for her arrival. Have fun, take some chapstick, you are going to need it, GG!