Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Saturday, September 15, 2007

Sometimes I even surprise myself

I woke up at 7:30 this morning rearing to go. This is very unusual behavior for me. My sleep is one of my most prized possessions. Third only to Gabi and Edward, I've been known to hurt people who've stood in the way of my precious sleep.

However, I was up and at 'em this morning. We headed out to the farmer's market, bought lots of produce and came home where I started making homemade baby food. Now I have no desire to be crazy organic, granola, vegan, kosher, gluten-free Mom. But I don't like to think of myself as someone who is incapable of making a healthy choice for my daughter because I'm physically incapable of boiling some carrots and mashing them up. No, I'm not going to only feed her homemade food. I live in the real world, people. I'm all about convenience, much to my mother-in-law's dismay, I'm afraid. (If I could cook like Jane, I would cook a lot more. Sadly, I can't, so we eat things that come in boxes sometimes.) But I have no control over what she's eating now. I don't know how Gabi's foster mother is introducing solid foods and if she's being careful about highly allergenic foods or what. So I feel like this is somewhere for me to start with having some say in what our girl eats. I will absolutely opt for commercial food in most cases, but it was worth a try.

It's surprisingly simple. I made 4 different foods-- carrots, sweet potatoes, acorn squash and apples. It ended up filling about 10 ice trays, which will then be transferred to ziploc bags until we need them. They will keep for 6-8 months and I feel like quite the homemaker. Edward tried a couple of them and said they were good, so there's that. It only took me about 2 hours start to finish. That's not bad. I didn't want to do too many things since I'm unsure exactly how big she'll be and what consistency she'll be eating when she gets home. It will definitely be one last thing to think about doing when we're about to go get her. And I'll know for sure that there's no bad stuff in it. This is really just a pre-emptive strike against all the things I'm going to mess up over the duration of Gabriella's life. Ha!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I'm impressed with all of it...rising at 7:30, rearing to go, and the natural food.
Of course, I'm generally very impressed with both of my daughters. That should give you hope that Gabi will be be fine.
Love you all,
Mom

Paige said...

I would like to see that. No maybe I would not. My friend Jackie made her kids food too and that was about as likely as you doing it---maybe it is a mom thing?

Anonymous said...

As for messing up...it is not called messing up when you are a Parent, it is a learning curve. We learn and grow from all the good and the bad. As long as we can survive it! I am proud of you, way to go.