Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Sunday, August 05, 2007

Hair, Hair Everywhere

The first thing I thought of when we saw Gabi today was that her Aunt Paige was going to be very disappointed in her hair. Paige lives to see this child's hair stand straight up. She thinks it's a crime against nature for it to be messed with. Paige, I assure you that I was not responsible for this major hair mishap. Her foster mother put it in a ponytail sort of on the side of her head. When we gave her a bath tonight, it was clear that some type of product was used. I couldn't believe it. And, her hair is below her shoulders in the back. Also, when Kristin and I looked at it in May, we were sure it would be stick straight. I'm not convinced. All of her hair on the top is wavy. I would love if she ended up with curly hair.

We first thought that she was a chunk. After we got below all of those clothes, we realized that she isn't chunky at all. Her cheeks make her look like she's storing some for the winter. Although she's much bigger than the last visit, she definitely isn't a big baby. She still has that skin that most of us would die for. Her eyes melt our hearts. She's very alert and interested in her environment. She's very fun.

We brought her back after dinner and she started to get fussy. So we stripped her down to her diaper and she kicked and played on the bed for about 45 minutes. She talked and giggled and talked some more. She likes to "take turns" talking and she tells a lot of stories. The speech-language pathologist in me loves this. It's amazing to see the milestones she's hit since our last visit. She's a very easy baby and hasn't really cried at all since we got her this afternoon. An occasional fuss is all we get.

Oh, one more thing-- while we were eating dinner, we put her in the stroller (which she's really too small for) and she hadn't smiled in a while. I started talking to her in Spanish-- calling her "mi princesa" and asking her what she was doing. She started grinning like crazy. She loves being the princess. Pretty funny!

Ed and I are getting so excited for Nana and Papa to get here. They are just gonna love her.

3 comments:

Paige said...

surely it can be fixed, cant it? I bet Liza can fix her hair so it is back in its natural state, there is no cause for a child to have any product in her hair, esp if it means it is not sticking straight up.

Blasphemy

Anonymous said...

The first thing I did this morning is check the blog. Thank you so much for having all the pictures on it. Now, I can start my day. She's more scrumptious every time I see her. Can't wait to get my hands on her. Don't let the Austins chafe her with too many kisses.
Love you 3,
GG and Grumps

Anonymous said...

Mandy, I see a lot of you in Gabi expressions. Have fun, give her a kiss from Aunt Jana.