Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Here's the thing...

I try really hard to be positive about this process. I try to focus on the fact that Gabi is receiving so much love every day from her foster family and that she has a significant percentage of the world praying for her every day. I remind myself daily that we are very fortunate to have this beautiful little girl in our lives regardless of how far away from us she might be. But sometimes I want to scream! Between the fact that Reagan is not home at 1 year and 2 weeks old (tomorrow) and the fact that the U.S. government takes its sweet time getting its job done, I just want to scream. We have been waiting for this stupid piece of paper from the US Embassy for 67 days today. That is just excessive.

I believe in America. I do think that we have a wonderful way of life that is worth protecting and fighting for. However, I do not believe that what our soldiers fight for is the right for our government offices to take as long as they want to do their jobs. Let's face it. I accepted a long time ago that there are things that we will never truly know about Gabriella's life. We can pray that we know what is necessary to make her feel that her birthmother loved her completely enough to give her a better life. And that it will be enough to satisfy Gabi's curiosity and pursuit of identity later in her life. But the truth is that we can't ever know if her entire adoption is on the up-and-up. We can't know that every piece of this process is legal. No one can know that except the individuals involved. It is our job and our government's job (in this case anyway) to investigate the circumstances of her existence and subsequent relinquishment. But whether it takes 25 days, 60 days or 120 days, there is only so much they can do to convince themselves. My frustration occurs when they are unwilling to either a) hire enough people to do this job in a timely manner, or b) do their job efficiently, or c) communicate with their constituents in an efficient and timely manner.

The U.S. Embassy literally makes up the rules as they go. In early Spring 2007, they were taking approximately 30 days to issue pre-approval. They then moved up to 60 days. There are rumblings that they may now extend the time necessary to complete this paperwork to 90 days. I cannot understand who gives them the liberty to simply change their policies. In addition to extending the timeline, they refuse to communicate with families before that 60 days has expired. I wrote them 7 days ago and have yet to receive a response.

That is my rant! Please let our pre-approval come this week. And please let Reagan out of PGN!!! That child must be home in October or I may storm the president of Guatemala's residence myself.

1 comment:

Paige said...

Well even if you were getting up there on the list, you might have just sunk yourself with your storming comment!