Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Friday, May 25, 2007

Guatemalan Sunshine

I have just met the most incredible person in the world... our daughter. She is so sweet. I got to talk to Mariela, who is our attorney's assistant, and learn all about her schedule, how much she's eating, sleeping, etc. We had quite a conversation because our room wasn't ready. Then I brought her up to the room. I knew when we were in the lobby that she had a dirty diaper. So I went to change a pretty nasty diaper, got her all cleaned up and she peed on me before I could get the diaper on her. She also peed all over her onesie and cute dress that her foster mother had her in. She was then mad about that. But that just gave me the opportunity to look at her belly and sweet little legs and arms. She is precious.

Now, her hair is another issue. I assure you that you've never seen hair like this. She looks like Don King! And it's adorable. When I first got to the hotel, I went upstairs to email everyone while I waited for Gabriella and the room to be ready. When I came back down, I see this women walking through the huge lobby with a baby with crazy (I mean loony-bin crazy) hair. I briefly thought that it could be Gabriella, but surely not. Lo and behold, Mariela came over and asked me if I was Miss Austin. Well, I wasn't prepared for Gabriella to just be looking at me. After all of these years and months of waiting to know our child, here she was. Pretty as a picture, cute as a bug, you name it-- that's what she is. So I promptly took a picture of Mariela and Gabi and then pounced on her. I'm delirious.

It was pretty crazy trying to find everything that was so carefully packed, but I got her re-dressed and gave her a bottle and now she's down for a nap. So far, I think she might be a bit of a self-soother. I just need to say one more time, I'M IN LOVE! Here are the three pictures I managed before the camera broke. I finally got to see her beautiful dark-as-night eyes. She's just delicious.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i love the hair!!!! how wild is that?!? she IS absolutely beautiful and i am a giddy schoolgirl looking at the pictures and reading your adventure. i can't wait to hear more and see more pictures - especially with you holding your precious dear. all my love, jenny