Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Friday, November 02, 2007

Thank goodness Gabi isn't biological...

It's important to realize that my family is nuts-- I mean certifiable. We have a lot of odd characteristics. But one of my favorites that has recently resurfaced is that my sister is deathly afraid of anything octopus or squid-like. I don't blame her. Frankly, who isn't terrified of something with 8 squishy legs? But I had forgotten about this particular quirk. And who cares? She lives in landlocked Illinois. But she and Barry happen to be on a scuba trip in St. Marten. And she is petrified that she will be eaten by an octopus. She's been gone for about 5 days and so far, so good. But right before she left, she watched a special on TV about squid and she freaked out. Now I ask you--what sane person would watch a show like that right before going on a scuba trip? All I can say is that I'm glad Gabi doesn't share my family's genes.

I found this early picture from our first visit with Gabi. It's one of my favorites!!!


I have a bunch of new photos to post, but I can't find the camera. It seems like this is a fairly important component for posting the pics. I'm off to search.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just be thankful for your conservative, sane parents.

Paige said...

oh my Lord.
i cannot believe ANYONE can say that with a straight face.

After watching KILLER SQUID, I am now confident that I was right all along about the squid---turns out the octopus is not so scary, but the squid is way worse than even I thought! Recognizing reasonable threats to one's well being is a GOOD TRAIT~

I am not letting some bag of goo with eight legs be the boss of me, however.

Besides, we did not even see anything that good- the hurricans had the water all in turmoil--the best we got was a 4 foot barracuda. Not even a stupid shark

Anonymous said...

I don't know about you Paige, but it would bother me more that I couldn't see. I would be screaming with every lil tickle of seaweed, "SQUID!". Oh how my crazy family makes me laugh, thank you.